Time to Celebrate!
The holiday season is upon us! With so many celebrations coming up in the next couple of weeks, many of us are busy decorating and preparing for the holidays. There are lots of fun ways to get your child involved and incorporate some learning into holiday preparation.
This time of year is a great opportunity to practise your writing skills, especially card and letter writing. If you need some help getting started, Learn Primary has lessons on how to write different types of texts in our English lessons. You child could…
- Write letters to Santa Clause.
- Write a thank you card or letter for your teacher as an end of year gift. Your teacher will really appreciate a thoughtful, handmade gift like this.
- If you are planning to send holiday cards, have your child help you to write some cards to friends and family.
- If you go away on holiday, write some postcards to your friends and family telling them about what you got up to.
- Write some poems as gifts for your friends, family or your teacher. You could decorate and frame them to make them even more special.
- Keep a diary during the holidays and write about what you do.
- Lots of us will be cooking up holiday feasts and festive treats in the next few weeks. Get the whole family involved in the food preparation by asking children to help out with simple kitchen tasks. This is a great way for them to practise a variety of Maths skills, like measurement and time.
- If you are planning on travelling over the holidays, take a look at some maps of the areas together. Discuss the route you might take to get there or plan out routes from your accommodation to some landmarks you will visit. Challenge your child to give directions to some of these locations.
- Try one of Learn Primary’s Christmas themed printables to get you started. Download one of our great Maths printables here.
- Make some homemade holiday decorations, cards or gift tags. You could even try using some recycled materials in your crafts.
- Make some homemade gifts. You could bake some holiday treats or gift some of your homemade decorations. Another great option is to print out some photos and make frames or photo albums for your friends and family. They will really appreciate the special effort you put into making your own gifts.